alittlefaith

a little faith's bookshelf

I lost touch with books for about a decade because of life but thankfully I am able to return to this beautiful world. Eclectic mix from YA to erotica. I blame fanfic.

The Making of Asian America: A History
Erika Lee
SPOILER ALERT!

Hmm, interesting...

I often analyze WHY people want to know the future outcome of fiction, rather than just a tease or taste.  Are we all just cowards at heart, unable to deal with the 'uncertainty' of fate in fiction because we're emotionally exhausted with fighting it in our very real lives?

My own example, I used to always read spoilers to films, TV shows before watching them, in an attempt to fast forward to the 'happy' ending to breathe that sigh of relief and let my heart rest again.  However, on a friend's advice and encouragement, I decided to take the path of courage and watch without knowing the end.  Yes, it was difficult not to know, not even to peek.  There was an element of anguish to contend with but that end catharsis was so much sweeter.  It is like when you drink water.  Have you ever tasted water, let it quench your thirst, when you have been parched?  That feeling is incomparable, the problem is you need to feel the thirst and pain first!

How do you feel about spoilers? Are they a plague, hindrance or much needed safety net?