alittlefaith

a little faith's bookshelf

I lost touch with books for about a decade because of life but thankfully I am able to return to this beautiful world. Eclectic mix from YA to erotica. I blame fanfic.

The Making of Asian America: A History
Erika Lee

Nature vs Nurture

When Boys Become Boys: Development, Relationships, and Masculinity - Judy Y Chu, Carol Gilligan

A lot of the fictional books I read from thriller to romance, from fantasy to contemporary, tend to revolve around the debate of nature vs nurture.  And though a vast many of those centre around the question of nature, it is rare that fiction ever comes up with some kind of profound judgement on the matter, wishing instead to test the parameters of the issue much like the T-rex in Jurassic Park.  Judy Chu's book is not only astute but relentless in its quest not only to explore the oft neglected element of nurture but its role in our very real lives.

It scared me unlike any horror title I picked up because it illuminates the faults within a system that is entrenched throughout the world.  Our systems of education pass on not only knowledge but pre-determined behaviour models.  We are the enemies within our midst, destroying our children and thereby any legacy we hope to leave behind.

It made me question who I am? And whether I too had betrayed the truth of that child I long since left behind, so much so that I strained to hear the song that little girl used to hum to herself.

The lasting note of this work though is rooted in its diligent appraisal of the situation.  Judy Chu doesn't propagate an agenda but tells it like it is and lets the evidence speak for itself.  Would we put our children through the meat processor too? For what ends? What gain is there to be had in that? Like Trinity counsels Neo, "you have been down there, you know that road, you know exactly where it ends. And I know that's not where you want to be."

Highly recommended!