alittlefaith

a little faith's bookshelf

I lost touch with books for about a decade because of life but thankfully I am able to return to this beautiful world. Eclectic mix from YA to erotica. I blame fanfic.

The Making of Asian America: A History
Erika Lee
Jellicoe Road - Melina Marchetta

I'll be honest I got lost a few times in the beginning of this book - not sure about the 'proper' introductions of people and places - but Marchetta's writing style is easy on the mind and soon enough I was at a place where I didn't need to keep tabs on people just to keep up.  However the manner in which Melina Marchetta weaves a present mystery on top of an unknown past is beautiful.

I grew up wishing that I had mystery in my life, some secret to unravel but it was a stupid and idealistic notion.  In real life mystery, not having answers hurts, and is potentially detrimental - it has the capacity to distance you from the world. Maybe I hated knowing that I had already been defined but it was downright naive.  This book so beautifully captures that damage. All of Taylor's actions carry that subtle ache and it twists your heart.

Jonah Griggs development was most pleasant to see and is an excellent example of Marchetta's mastery of her art.  The manner in which she 'fits' Taylor into his life, yet as he imprints himself on to hers too, is finely done.  Their relationship is profound, seen from an outsiders advantage point but the journey is bittersweet and Marchetta again creates these layers through her wonderful writing.

Highly recommended.