alittlefaith

a little faith's bookshelf

I lost touch with books for about a decade because of life but thankfully I am able to return to this beautiful world. Eclectic mix from YA to erotica. I blame fanfic.

The Making of Asian America: A History
Erika Lee
Kamikaze Girls - Novala Takemoto

What I love about this book is that Novala Takemoto takes a profound message about acceptance - not only yourself but others around you - and clothed it in absurdity.  The people are weird but never caricatures because there is reason behind their madness.  Each garish persona coupled with personality is rich in detail.  It might be hard to equate any of the people and story with reality but still it feels real because you are easily able to follow their train of thought.  They do those things that society and your demons have convinced you, you can't.  It doesn't matter if you don't understand or know the culture, popular culture or completely insane pseudo popular culture, Novala gets you to understand it all by making you understand the people.

But that's not all, Novala Takemoto has a way with words. Granted, I read a translation but I can only imagine the original to be more eloquent.  His word choices, the way he describes not only things but feelings are original to say the least but also poetical.

This is a book for people that like unique but also a story about friendship. It's about finding that you do actually care even though you had convinced yourself you didn't.

Beautiful.