alittlefaith

a little faith's bookshelf

I lost touch with books for about a decade because of life but thankfully I am able to return to this beautiful world. Eclectic mix from YA to erotica. I blame fanfic.

The Making of Asian America: A History
Erika Lee
The Aftermath - Rhidian Brook

So I went through this WW2 phase a decade or so ago - around the time Band of Brothers came out - and devoured lots and lots of non-fiction and autobiographies about that difficult period of time.  Aside from poetry, this is the first fictional book - I think - that I'm reading set in that time period and though I can't tell if my bias is showing, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Rachael is an excellent creation.  She is such a poignant and layered characterization of loss, grief and bitterness.  The overall meandering pace of the story suited this examination of the aftermath of something so awful it's hard to comprehend how any kind of normalcy could be returned yet that is the state the human soul can't help but feel safe in even if it can only get there through denial.  Maybe it's a part of comfort or healing but that delusion is bittersweet, no doubt.  The varying points of views added rich detail and essentially this is a character driven story.

The lines of German were a wonderful touch and something I love since it reflects so much the increasing multi-cultural world we live in - especially the online community - but also enhances the awkward aura of the setting.

Recommended for people who like fictional WW2 stories and or solid characterizations.