alittlefaith

a little faith's bookshelf

I lost touch with books for about a decade because of life but thankfully I am able to return to this beautiful world. Eclectic mix from YA to erotica. I blame fanfic.

The Making of Asian America: A History
Erika Lee
The End of Mr. Y - Scarlett Thomas

Never has a book divided my friends so much.  Luckily I love this kind of indulgent writing; indulgent not in the verbose way but filled with musings that we often ask ourselves in those awkward lulls in between the battles of this rat race.  It was just so much fun to read!  It kind of reminded me of the whimsy of Stanislaw Lem - I'm not saying she's his successor or anything but I haven't found myself smirking whilst getting caught up in random hypothesis since reading his stuff.

Scarlett Thomas keeps the pace quick, filling up any pauses with mysteries for you to mull over.  She's also got a way with words and some of her lines are beautiful in their eloquent heartbreak.  Ariel has faults enough, but they are not of understanding (yep Darcy follows me everywhere...) She is easy to love and the perfect person for adventure to pick as a playmate.

If this is your kind of thing, then you'll love it, if not then you won't make it past the first page.