alittlefaith

a little faith's bookshelf

I lost touch with books for about a decade because of life but thankfully I am able to return to this beautiful world. Eclectic mix from YA to erotica. I blame fanfic.

The Making of Asian America: A History
Erika Lee
Eon: Rise of the Dragoneye - Alison Goodman

Eon is a marvellous fantasy book.  The main reason I rave about it is Eona.  What a wonderful characterization.  Alison Goodman has created a beautiful and giving girl but with a wide streak of stubborness, hehe that's what I like to see!  She's given an excellent background, good present issues and a future filled with anxiety yet hope.  Her struggle with her identity is something I think a lot of girls might grapple with, especially those who are forced to grow up too quickly, given responsibilities so that you are obliged to push your femininity and sexuality to one side.  Your life is your burden and nothing more but still you have that core person residing inside you that never truly dies and though you deny her, she doesn't want to just wilt away.  Ah! it was just heartbreaking and poignant, beautifully done by the author.

Her nemesis, Lord Ido is well rounded yet vague so that he's not a caricature.  Ryko and Dela are just awesome.  I loved how Alison Goodman strips away all your notions of gender, so that instead you pay attention to the actual person and their personality.  It was just so refreshing.  The second reason why I loved it is because of the detailing of the world right down to the smells.  It is vivid description of place steeped in history yet living it also - a kind of rich vintage.

Highly recommended.