alittlefaith

a little faith's bookshelf

I lost touch with books for about a decade because of life but thankfully I am able to return to this beautiful world. Eclectic mix from YA to erotica. I blame fanfic.

The Making of Asian America: A History
Erika Lee
The Darkest Minds - Alexandra Bracken

*spoilerish* For people that know me and can read between the lines.

This book was a thrill to read.  Right from the origin of the premise, -the fact that children that survived a plague become the ones persecuted because apparently that which doesn't kill you only makes you into a target for people to find other ways to kill you... - I was hooked.  I think I was invested so much because if any of these things were to happen in 'our world' I can easily see the same thing occurring.  The fear of the unknown, of people that 'evolve' was a theme developed in X-men and yeah I see the similarities but this isn't a cheap rip off.

Alexandra Bracken's style is easy to read and the action is paced nicely.  However what I loved the most about her writing was the manner she skillfully developed Ruby's character.  You can see the way she grew more confident and stronger with each incident.  The dynamic within the group of kids she bands with is lovely and the loveline between her and Liam didn't irk me as much as I thought it would - me just wanting to get on with the action (no that that kind, I mean the main plot of the story) - as romance in action plot lines can be bothersome and unsatisfying.

I think the worst thing that people said about this book was that they wanted more exposition but I'm didn't feel it hindered the story in any way and I'm hoping for the details in the next instalments.   All in all a good read.