alittlefaith

a little faith's bookshelf

I lost touch with books for about a decade because of life but thankfully I am able to return to this beautiful world. Eclectic mix from YA to erotica. I blame fanfic.

The Making of Asian America: A History
Erika Lee
Very Bad Things - Ilsa Madden-Mills

I love the way Iisa Madden Mills writes. She eloquent and witty.  That's the chief reason I gave this five stars.  I just drank up her words and before I knew it I had finished the book.  There's a bounty of quotes and highlights left of what was such a beautiful narrative in my memory (ahem, computer memory because I rarely remember what I've eaten for breakfast!)

The characterizations aren't anything new but the story never gets boring because they are fully developed.  However the real beauty comes in the dynamic between the two, Nora and Leo.  That push and pull, no one daring to confess but irrepressibly unable to deny making moves.  I love all this angsty stuff and this was a treat, though the ending comes suddenly and for the first time in my life I tried to split the final page in two, thinking that can't be the end, but nothing so abrupt to give me whiplash.  However my favourite thing about this book was the bromance between Leo and Sebastian, (wait if they're real brothers does it make it 'brotherly love' not hip to these modern terms...)  and in fact the little trio they all formed melted my heart.  Highly satisfying!