alittlefaith

a little faith's bookshelf

I lost touch with books for about a decade because of life but thankfully I am able to return to this beautiful world. Eclectic mix from YA to erotica. I blame fanfic.

The Making of Asian America: A History
Erika Lee
Watcher in the Woods  - Robert Liparulo

Book covers will be the death of me.  I just can't pass on a beautiful cover.  On the blurb for this book alone I wouldn't have picked it up but that cover...then I find that it's number two in a series so of course I have to buy the first (not as lovely a cover but still part of the substance of the series i.e. the story/words) and since I don't just buy books to look pretty on my shelf (well not all the time) I bought them both.  I'm not going to review the first, not because it was bad because honestly this just wasn't my cup of tea. I don't intend to buy any more in the series, unless I accidentally side-eye a pretty cover, but honestly I just found it hard to get into this story AND to top it all off these books seem to have a penchant for ending on HUGE cliffhangers, to my chagrin.

The brothers, Xander and David tend to be petulant and though understandable in teenagers, not something I want in my heroes.  The pace is slow, but this is where Robert Liparulo's gift of writing really comes into play.  He's adept at keeping you engaged through a labyrinth of trials, one after the another all layered with 'outsiders' with unknown interests sticking their butts in, including the 'watcher in the woods' Mr Taxidian.  The running theme seemed to be the conflict between 'honour thy parents' and 'obey thy parents' because things aren't always black and white.

Jesse seems the most intriguing character but has little to do...yet.  This book isn't sinister, creepy or eerie but more in the tone of a thriller, a who dunnit.  The boys are placed in danger and you really fear for their safety but you aren't scared.  I don't know what I was expecting, but I didn't get what I thought the cover insinuated.  This is a long series that hasn't ended and unfortunately there's not a lot to keep me invested.  However if this is your kind of thing then I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's written wonderfully and the story holds up well.