alittlefaith

a little faith's bookshelf

I lost touch with books for about a decade because of life but thankfully I am able to return to this beautiful world. Eclectic mix from YA to erotica. I blame fanfic.

The Making of Asian America: A History
Erika Lee
White Trash Damaged  - Teresa Mummert

*spoilers*

Teresa Mummert's books are my guilty pleasure.  Just like those B-movies I'd slip downstairs in the middle of the night to watch on TV.  I loved Cass' character growth in this book, it was seeing the proverbial phoenix rise from the ashes. For instance the manner in which she brings round Tucker's bandmates. More than Cass and Tucker, I think I loved Cass and Sarah, as she finally finds someone to be 'girly' with.  I actually awwed, when I read about their antics, it was like seeing someone have a second chance at childhood again.  I love that Cass' poetry made her a peer rather than just groupie and I truly hope that the next in the series gives her more independence, for as Kahlil Gibran advises, "And stand together yet not too near together:
For the pillars of the temple stand apart,
And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow."

I feel Cass needs to grow more as a person, though I completely understand her vulnerability due to her past.  I just felt like there wasn't a definite turning point or catharsis like in the first.  It left me feeling a little distant, like the film Before Midnight did.  I love the characters, I love their story but I just wish that things had turned out more fairytale, in this too good to be true story.

Recommended for people who like me, love to indulge in this type of angsty stuff.