alittlefaith

a little faith's bookshelf

I lost touch with books for about a decade because of life but thankfully I am able to return to this beautiful world. Eclectic mix from YA to erotica. I blame fanfic.

The Making of Asian America: A History
Erika Lee
SPOILER ALERT!
Lola and the Boy Next Door - Stephanie Perkins

*spoilers*

I don't remember much about this story but I do remember the warm, satisfying feeling I was left with once I'd finished reading this over the course of an empty weekend. I didn't read the first in this series, Anna and the French Kiss, and even though I probably missed some inside jokes, I didn't feel left out of the picture.  I think it's safe to say that this book stands well on its own.  I also remember why I picked it up in the first place: I've always wanted to be called Lola.  The name does something to me and thankfully the protagonist in this book did too. She's not as pretentious as the blurb makes her sound.  And Stephanie Perkins creates this beautiful 'issue' for Lola in Cricket.  He is the quintessential boy next door but with a personality (and name) that makes him Lola's boy next door.  However the story isn't about getting the boy or choosing which boy but rather a journey of self-discovery.  This book is about conflicts and boy troubles creating heartache and waves which shed light on Lola's character.  I really felt that this book was about how Lola grows up to accept herself, with two dads to help, with everything else coming second to that and you know that no matter what happens after that, she's already got her happy ending.