alittlefaith

a little faith's bookshelf

I lost touch with books for about a decade because of life but thankfully I am able to return to this beautiful world. Eclectic mix from YA to erotica. I blame fanfic.

The Making of Asian America: A History
Erika Lee
SPOILER ALERT!
World After  - Susan Ee

*spoilers*

Susan Ee continues this excellent series which showcases her fine talent in writing.  She has created a vivid world, full of interesting, complex characters with good humour to boot.  I won't lie, I missed that Raffe wasn't in this book as much, so there is less interaction between him and Penryn but it didn't detract from my enjoyment.  The other characters, aside from Penryn, and the plot are tremendous in their own right.  This book is more about answering questions from the first book, developing Penryn's characterization and etching this world Susan has created into our psyche. It's about building up to what I expect will (or should) come up in the next book.  I think it actually gave Paige a lot of room to grow too, some of that was in creepiness but in a bad-ass way that I was completely on board with.  I love that Susan doesn't shy away from being dark, and it isn't gratuitous either. The story is gruesome because the acts are vile AND that's where her writing really shines; she adds details to scenes conjuring up horrific beauty - everything you'd expect from a theme of fallen angels.

Highly recommended series and book.